As far back as the Heian Period in Japan, rice water has been used to help ladies grow floor-length hair. Each day, it’s been said that these women combed their luscious manes with water that was used to wash rice, which may have been contributing to their amazing lengths.
Nowadays, there are a ton of products available on the market that claim to help hair grow. However, if it’s possible to grow your hair with a natural ingredient that’s probably already in your pantry – why not, right?
In this post, we are going to explore the benefits of rice water and explain how it can be used for maximizing hair length. So, if you’re ready to learn more, keep reading!
Benefits of Rice Water on Hair
As one of the most popular grains consumed globally, rice is a staple in millions of households. When it comes to increasing hair length, the reason rice water is so supportive is because it’s loaded with amino acids, vitamins and trace minerals. These elements not only strengthen strands, but also treat the scalp as effectively as Vitamin E Oil does for hair. Due to the starch it contains, hair gets coated with protein, which has the ability to help reverse damage and dryness.
How to Use Rice Water on Hair
Since the starchy liquid functions like a protein treatment, apply this to your hair as frequently as you typically do with hair masks and treatments that contain protein to help with dry, brittle hair. If you are a newbie with applying protein to your hair or aren’t really sure if you need it, don’t worry – we’ve included a list below for manes that generally need a protein boost:
Ideally, you’ll want to let the treatment get absorbed by your strands for about 20 minutes. If after you rinse it out, your hair still has a crunchy texture to it, simply adjust the amount of time you have it in your hair in future treatments.
After rinsing out the treatment, follow it up with a deep conditioner. This will support your strands by hydrating and strengthening, which is necessary for all hair types. Keep in mind that it may take some time to find a good balance, so even if your mane doesn’t love protein right away, don’t give up.
Rice Water Recipe
Two methods can be used to produce rice water for hair growth: soaking and boiling. If you want to make sure you are enjoying the most benefits, though, you’ll definitely want to soak the rice and allow it to ferment for up to 24 hours.
- ½ Cup Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Bowls
- 1 Container that has a lid
- Spray bottle
Method 1: Soaking
- First, pour your ½ cup of rice into a strainer.
- Rinse it very well and shake the strainer as you do so.
- After the water has drained, place rice into a bowl and add 2 cups of water.
- Soak the grains for up to 24 hours at room temperature.
- Once it has finished soaking, strain the rice water into a new bowl.
- Using a funnel, transfer the liquid into a spray bottle. Place in your fridge until you’re ready to use.
Method 2: Boiling
- Pour the ½ cup of rice into a strainer.
- Rinse the rice well.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Pour the rice directly into the boiling liquid and let it sit until the surface has become cloudy.
- Once it’s cloudy, remove from heat and let the water cool.
- Strain the pot.
- Funnel the liquid into a spray bottle.
- Place the bottle in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
And there you have it, love. How to make rice water in a nutshell. Use this rice water recipe when you want to give your hair a protein boost and increase the length of your lovely strands!