Does your hairline resemble a downward V-shape? If it comes together at the center of your forehead, you’ve got a widow’s peak hairline. This simply means your hairline is higher on the sides and lower in the middle. While some people have a very noticeable widow’s peak, others have a more subtle one. A great way to tell if you have one is by pulling your hair back into a ponytail. So, what causes a widow’s peak, and is there a way to highlight or reduce its appearance? We’ll cover this and more within this guide, so read on!
Why is it Called a Widow’s Peak?You may be wondering, “What does a widow’s peak mean?” This term is thought to have originated in the 18th-century. The tradition was that when a husband passed away, the wife would wear a black triangular hood with the point falling in the middle of the forehead. Today, this term is used to describe someone’s hairline that resembles this same look.
What Causes a Widow’s Peak?The cause of a widow’s peak is unknown, but is most likely tied in with genetics. It’s possible that if you have one, someone else in your family history had one as well. There isn’t enough research to state that a widow’s peak is a result of genetics; however, there are studies associating it with a few genetic conditions like:
- Aarskog Syndrome. This is a rare genetic disorder that mainly affects males. It’s characterized by short stature and abnormalities of the limbs, face, and genitals.
- Donnai-Barrow Syndrome. This condition is caused by mutations in the LRP2 gene. It causes unusual features of the eyes, ears, and nose.
How to Highlight the Appearance of a Widow’s PeakWidow’s peaks can be incredibly attractive, and there are hairstyles for both men and women that will highlight it. Show off your widow’s peak by slicking your hair back. Slick it back using some gel or hairspray. If you’ve got long hair, it’s as easy as pulling hair back in a ponytail or bun. This is the most popular way to show off your widow’s peak.
How to Reduce the Appearance of a Widow’s PeakNow, if you’re not a big fan of your hairline, there are some ways to reduce its appearance. For instance:
- Avoid slicking your hair back or away from the forehead, as this will expose your widow’s peak.
- Wear bangs or headbands to soften your hairline and de-emphasize the appearance.
- If you’re a male, consider going bald. This is a sure-fire way to eliminate a widow’s peak (we do understand that the bald look isn’t for everyone).