Hair mousse is a styling product used to treat and protect hair. Also known as styling foam, this product is used among all hair types.
What does mousse do, you ask? This styling product is known for its versatility. It can be used to tame unruly locks, create bouncy curls, and protect strands. Unlike gel, mousse is great for sculpting and providing volume (gel is known for providing hold and taming frizz).
If you’re ready to jump on the bandwagon and learn how to use hair mousse, read on!
Step 1: Wash Hair
Wash your hair thoroughly. Applying mousse to a dirty mane will make it look stiff and weigh it down. Not only will your locks smell nice after you’ve washed them, they’ll look and feel better too.
Step 2: Wring It Out
While your hair needs to be wet, you don’t want it to be soaking and dripping everywhere. After washing your mane, wring your strands out using your hands and a towel.
Step 3: Get Your Blow Dryer Ready
Connect your blow dryer and get it ready to use. The attachment you need depends on the look you’re going for. The most popular attachments are diffusers and concentrator nozzles. A diffuser is great if you have curly locks, while a concentrator nozzle is best for straight locks.
Step 4: Apply Mousse
Less is more when it comes to mousse. You don’t need a ton to get the results you want – another amazing benefit of this styling product! Shake your mousse and apply an egg-sized amount to your hand. Work through your damp locks, focusing the product on the roots.
Step 5: Style Hair
You can style your hair as desired. Here is a brief guide to walk you through some of your options:
For Curly Locks
If you’re looking for some curl definition, scrunch your hair in an upward motion. This will encourage a natural curl. Next, use the blow dryer diffuser attachment to continue to scrunch hair upwards. Work towards the roots until your mane dries fully.
For Straight Hair
If you have straight locks and want to add some volume, start by splitting your mane into three sections. You’ll want to work from the bottom to the top of your hair. Take a 1-inch strand of hair and work the round brush through it. At the same time, you want to use the concentrator attachment on your blow-dryer over the top. Hold the nozzle at a downward angle, making sure to create tension with the brush. Repeat until your entire mane has been dried.
For a Tousled Texture
This next styling technique is super easy and creates an effortless look. As your locks are drying, twist them in sections. Once all your tresses are twisted, gently scrunch hair upwards. This will create a nicely tousled texture.
Using Mousse Based On Your Hair Type
Not all mousses are made the same. There are several types to suit different types of hair. For this reason, the mousse that works on my hair may not work on yours (and vice versa). Use this quick guide to learn which type of mousse is recommended for your hair type.
- If you have curly locks, use a mouse that will add bounce and lift to your curls. When making your shopping decision, look for terms like “curl” or “bounce” on the mousse label.
- If you have damaged hair, then mousse will be a great alternative to heat styling tools. Simply apply some mousse to your damp strands and let it air dry.
- If you have very thin strands, consider mousse that will add volume. The extra volume will give you the appearance of a fuller mane.
- If you have straight hair, you’ll want to add some body to your locks. Adding mousse will help add texture and volume, while taming frizz.
- If you have thick strands, this product will hold the hair in place without it feeling too heavy. Instead of using products that weigh down your thick strands, apply a few pumps of mousse. This will add hold without the heaviness.
Mousse gives your mane a look that feels and looks effortless. Remember that not all hair or mousse styling products are made the same. Be sure to find the one that suits your mane best. Happy styling!